There are plenty of probiotic supplements on the market, but how can you tell whether a product is good enough to give to your pet? We’ve compiled a list of 5 things to look for when shopping for a probiotic supplement for pets.
1. Does the product contain multiple strains of probiotics?
Many probiotic products for pets contain only 1 or 2 strains (species) of bacteria. Although these supplements may help your pet in small ways, they may not be complete enough to help your pet with long term effects. Look for a probiotic supplement with multiple probiotic strains, and then research why each strain is beneficial for your pet. You will find that a more complete product will offer a broader spectrum of health benefits.
2. Does the product deliver a potent formula?
Look for a product with an enzyme mineral delivery system. A delivery system will help ensure complete assimilation and digestion of the product, delivering the nutrients to the blood stream as quickly as possible.
3. Does the product contain live organisms?
The FDA requires probiotic supplement companies to print the manufacture date somewhere on the bottle. Take note of how many CFU’s (Colony Forming Units- or bacteria count) are in the product at the time of manufacture, and then locate the number of CFU’s alive at the time of expiration. If this information is not on the label, call the company and request it. If a company is not willing to or cannot provide this information, it most likely means the probiotic count is extremely low, or that they have not performed extensive tests to verify the potency of their probiotics. Either way, steer clear of the product, and opt for one that has a high number of CFU’s at expiration.
4. Does the product require refrigeration?
All probiotics will benefit from refrigeration. However, if your probiotic product contains live bacteria and states that refrigeration is not required, this is a sign of strong probiotics. If a product will maintain potency at room temperature, it has a better chance of maintaining potency in the stomach and intestines.
5. Is the product human grade?
Human grade pet products are products formulated specifically for pets while using third-party tested ingredients and safe manufacturing practices. To be considered human grade, pet products must be manufactured in a facility that is GMP and NSF certified. Read more: What are “Human Grade” Pet Products?
A probiotic supplement you can trust: Total-Biotics®
- Contains 14 strains of probiotic species. Click here for our complete list of probiotics and their benefits.
- Contains the L.E.A.D.S.® Live Enzyme Activated Delivery System®. Read: What is L.E.A.D.S.®?
- Contains 1.6 Billion CFUs of live probiotics per serving at time of manufacture, and can be stored at room temperature with this guaranteed amount of CFUs until expiration. To extend the life of the probiotics past the expiration date, store in the refrigerator or freezer.
- Are made at “Human Grade” facilities, with GMP and NSF certifications and third party testing.
Compare Total-Biotics® to the most popular probiotic supplements for pets.
If you have any questions about our unique formulas, please do not hesitate to give us a call. We know you won’t settle for anything less when it comes to your pet!
Visit NWCnaturals.com for more information.